One of the most popular water filtration systems is a countertop water filter. It has such benefits as a simple installation with no plumbing changes required, effective removal of water contaminants, and affordable prices. The countertop filters can utilize one or more filtration methods. You can also find filters that remove the contaminants, but not the beneficial minerals. Depending on the system you choose, the countertop water filter may remove chlorine, organic chemicals, bacteria, sediment, rust, lead, mercury, cysts, parasites, and others.
To find the best countertop water filter for your home, you can compare the top available models on the market in the chart and countertop water filter reviews that I have prepared below.
- Home Master Jr F2
- Filtration stages: 5
- Filter life (gallons): 500
- Dimensions: 5 x 5 x 12
- Price: $$$
- Brondell H2O+
- Filtration stages: 3
- Filter life (gallons): 2 of the filters - 500, 1 filter - 1000
- Dimensions: 13.5 x 3.8 x 10.5
- Price: $$$$
- New Wave Enviro
- Filtration stages: 10
- Filter life (gallons): 1500
- Dimensions: 12.2 x 5.4 x 4.6
- Price: $$
- Zen Water System
- Filtration stages: 5
- Filter life (gallons): ceramic filter - 1000, 5-Stage Filter - 500, mineral stones - 3-5 years
- Dimensions: 12.5 x 12.5 x 22
- Price: $$
- WaterChef C7000
- Filtration stages: 1
- Filter life (gallons): 1000
- Dimensions: 7 x 4.5 x 10.5
- Price: $$$
- Paragon P3060
- Filtration stages: 5
- Filter life (gallons): 25,000
- Dimensions: 3-3/4″×12-3/4
- Price: $$
Countertop Water Filter Reviews
Home Master Jr. F2
The Home Master Jr. F2 features an advanced multi-stage granular filter that provides exceptional water purity with the removal of up to 93% of fluoride, chlorine, arsenic, and other chemicals. To ensure that the water doesn’t bypass the filtration media, the Home Master Jr. F2 is completely filled up and features compression disks at the inlet, outlet and between layers.
The space saving design takes up minimal space of any countertop. The installation takes just minutes. The replaceable filter cartridge needs to be changed every 6 months or after filtering 500 gallons.
- Lightweight and easy to move around – With its space-saving design and a weight of 4.5 pounds, the Home Master Jr. is an easy to move water filter. Its lightweight’s nature also allows for easy installation.
- Uses easily available filters – While the home filter is already cheap, its replacement filters are even easier to find. This makes the top rated water filter one of the most cost friendly inline options in the market today.
- Removes plenty of unwanted minerals – The Home Master Jr. F2 works efficiently to remove unwanted minerals like fluoride and chloramines.
- Allows strong water pressure so that you can easily fill your pots with clean, and safe to drink water.
- Some users dislike the filter’s design which puts the tubes in the open.
- The filter change rate with Home Master Jr.2 F2 is a little bit more frequent compared to other water filters.
New Wave Enviro
This premium system uses a 10 stage filter to remove most of the major contaminants to below EPA minimum levels. The contaminants it can remove include chlorine, carcinogenic organic and chlorine compounds, giardia, heavy metals, lead, asbestos, bad odors, and more. However, the desirable minerals like magnesium and fluoride are left behind. The replaceable filter produces up to 1500 gallons of water, which in use by a family of four would last about a year.
New Wave Enviro features a simple design for quick attachment to the faucet. Alternatively, you can purchase a separate conversion kit for mounting the filter under the sink.
- Easy to set up – The water filter’s instruction manual is crystal clear on how to install the device. Simply put, you attach the one piece filtration device to the water inlet and you are done.
- Convenient in that its filters take a year to replace – The New Wave Enviro features great quality filters that work efficiently to filter up to 1500 gallons of water before you can replace them.
- Small footprint – This water filter takes very little space on your counter. In fact, you can totally save all your counter space by installing the New Wave tool under a sink with the help of a special kit.
- Lightweight and easy to carry around.
- You have to buy the extra kits that make this water filter extra convenient.
- Some users complain that the tool’s turn off feature is cumbersome. However, the tool’s manual does offer directions on how to effectively turn it off.
In Brondell H2O+ you get a great combination of a sleek design and powerful triple filtration technology. The system features three separate advanced filters that include a Composite Plus filter, a Nanotrap filter, and a carbon block filter. This Brondell system is tested and certified by WQA.
The result of this high quality filtration is removal VOCs, herbicides, harmful chemicals, microorganisms, bad tastes, and odors.
The unit comes with a faucet diverter that will fit most of the faucets. The Brondell H2O+ filtration installs in under 10 minutes and after that, you will have great tasting filtered water at the push of a button. Under sink connection is also possible, but you will need to purchase additionally a T-valve.
Brondell H2O+ has an elegant slim design for space saving of the countertop. The 3 filters will need regular replacement: Composite Plus and carbon block filters every 6 months, and Nanotrap filter every 12 months.
- Easy to install – The Brondell H20+ features an easy to install the system that takes only a few minutes to do. If your faucet has an extra hole especially, you could connect the water filter to your water supply easily.
- Compact modular design with a high efficiency rate – Its compact, medium sized design accommodates several features that help filter out more minerals and improve its efficiency rate.
- Features an indicator light to alert you when you need to replace the filters. Usually, the filters need to be replaced after approximately six months.
- Has a high water output of 56 gallons per day.
- The overall design fits most kitchens while its faucet adaptors work well with many faucet types.
- Its replacement filters are a bit expensive given that they can only survive six months.
- Inflexible – The tool’s large size disallows flexibility in small kitchens.
Zen Water System
The Zen countertop water filter has endless benefits as it is a multifunctional system that does filtration, purification, mineralization, alkalizing and magnetizing.
It features a micro-ceramic filter that contains millions of tiny pores 0.2-0.5 micron in size. This allows the system to remove up to 99% of bacteria, parasites, chlorine, pesticides, toxins, herbicides, manmade chemicals, and other harmful contaminants.
The Zen water system comes with a 5-stage mineral filter cartridge that contains carbon. This eliminates bad tastes and odors and purifies the drinking water. The filter also includes an ion exchange resin that in addition to purifying softens the water by removing toxins and heavy metals.
For mineralization, the system includes silica sand, far infrared balls, and minerals stones. Silica sand is known to have great absorbent qualities. So it removes impurities in the body and aids in strengthening of connective tissues. Far infrared balls are used for boosting strength and vitality. Mineral stones infuse the water with essential minerals and increase the alkalinity of the water.
Zen water system operates without electricity and doesn’t require any installation. The filtration is done by gravity.
The system consists of a 1.5-gallon filter tank and a 2.5-gallon storage tank. The complete set of filters includes the 5-stage mineral filter cartridge, a micro-ceramic filter, mineral stones, and a magnetized tap. The ceramic filter capacity is 1000 gallons or 1 year. For the 5-stage filter it’s 500 gallons and for the minerals stones, it’s 3 to 5 years.
- Not electricity powered – The Zen water system unit does not depend on electricity to filter minerals and other pollutants out of the water. It instead relies on gravity force.
- Easy to Install – It takes less than five minutes to install this unit in your sink. It actually has a very minimal instruction manual, because you probably don’t need one.
- Little or no maintenance costs – Given its little plumbing and zero electricity dependence, the unit can survive for long while you only spend on replacement filters.
- Efficient in eliminating minerals – The unit is designed to eliminate numerous mineral types, some of which include; chlorine, magnesium, and zinc. Can also eliminate pollutants like pesticides and sediments.
- Takes some time to setup – The unit requires you to wash mineral stones and run two cycles before you can actually consume water filtered by the Zen model.
- Not NSF certified.
The Watts 500315 countertop water filter is great for its portability. You can use it at home, as well as in RV or camper. The installation is a snap, it connects to the kitchen faucet with a diverter valve. It ensures high quality drinking water with its coconut shell carbon filter. The filtration capabilities include removal of sediment, silt, rust, sand, chloramine, chlorine taste and odors. The filters life is about 6 months. Then you can replace with any standard 10-inch filter element.
- Lightweight and portable – The unit is small in size, compact and thereby helps saves a lot of your countertop space.
- Efficient -The Watts model is highly efficient in reducing chlorine taste in your home water, eliminating silt, sediments, and rusts.
- Meets all set out plumbing codes – The unit is easy to install and convenient for use in all states, noting that it meets all plumbing codes there are. It actually takes less than a minute to install this water filter as you only need to connect it to a kitchen faucet aerator.
- Its replacement filters are easily available – The unit accepts the readily available 10-inch replacement filter elements. These filters are also affordable and durable.
- Features controls for easy operation.
- Some customers complain that the unit leaks at times.
- Some people note that Watts don’t have a great customer service.
WaterChef C7000 offers advanced water filtration with its powerful Big Block technology. The 1000 gallons capacity filter can filter a broad range of water contaminants, including chlorine, cysts, VOCs, lead, chloramine, benzene, and others.
The C7000 countertop water filter is equipped with an intelligent monitor that keeps track of the filter usage to let you know when the time comes for the cartridge replacement. The system is tested and certified by NSF that ensures the compliance of the filter to the strict standards. The product is made from the finest materials and the company offers a lifetime limited warranty for this filter.
- Superior water contaminant reduction with its modern technology – The Waterchef model eliminates up to 99% of all known water contaminants thanks to its big block filtration technology.
- Cost saving – Designed to filter up to 1000 gallons of water with a single cartridge, the Waterchef can save you a great deal of cash in the amount of filters you will buy in the course of the unit’s service life.
- NSF certified – The Waterchef model is tested and certified by both the NSF and ANSI as a top of the line water filter.
- Great looking, space-saving design-Besides looking great, the unit’s small size helps save a lot of counter space in the kitchen.
- The Waterchef customer service is incredible.
- Easy to setup for any newbie or experienced person.
- It is more expensive than most water filters.
- Some customers complain that the unit drips.
The Paragon P3060 uses the brand’s patented 5-stage filtration system and offers probably the largest capacity among countertop filters. With filter life up to 25,000 gallons this countertop water filter system will be in use for many years without any maintenance such as cartridge replacement.
The filtration system removes chloramines, chlorine taste, and odor, as well as other contaminants.
The installation is simple and it comes with a faucet adapter. So you just remove your faucet aerator and screw on the filter adapter.
- Efficient – Paragon PS060 model uses an advanced silicate titanium block filter to help eliminate most water contaminants with a 95% efficiency rate. In fact, the unit is able to eliminate minerals like chlorine and giardia with an efficiency rate of 98% or higher.
- Maintenance free – Not only is the unit easy to install, but it is also designed to be a low maintenance water filter. It is able to filter up to 20,000 of gallons before you will need to replace its filters also.
- Light and portable – Measures 12 inches long and 2 pounds in weight for the most convenient transportation or movement around your sink.
- Readily available replacement filters – The unit’s replacement filters are relatively affordable in addition to being readily available.
- Expensive – The Paragon P3060 water filter is one of the most expensive units in the market.
- Some customers complain that the technical support at Paragon is weak.
Countertop Water Filter Comparison
|Product name||Filtration stages||Filter life (gallons)||Dimensions||Price||Rating|
|Home Master Jr F2||5||500||5 x 5 x 12||$$$||4.1|
|New Wave Enviro||10||1500||12.2 x 5.4 x 4.6||$$||4.2|
|Brondell H2O+||3||2 of the filters - 500, 1 filter - 1000||13.5 x 3.8 x 10.5||$$$$||4.4|
|Zen Water System||5||ceramic filter - 1000, 5-Stage Filter - 500, mineral stones - 3-5 years||12.5 x 12.5 x 22||$$||3.9|
|WaterChef C7000||1||1000||7 x 4.5 x 10.5||$$$||4|
Advantages of Countertop Water Filters
- The more advanced models use a combination of filtration methods with multiple stages, which results in effective removal of the majority of the contaminants.
- Quick and easy filtration.
- Easy installation.
- No plumbing changes required.
- Filter life up to a year.
- Affordable price.
- Some models are not designed to fit all faucets, so might have to get adapters.
- Even though the manufacturers make them compact, they still take up some countertop space.
The Bottom Line
One of the simplest and cost-effective ways to have clean drinking water at home is with a countertop water filter. They usually come in compact sizes so won’t take up much space of the kitchen countertop. They can use multiple stages of filtration in order to get maximum contaminant reduction. The best countertop water filter models above have been chosen based on their features, filtration effectiveness, quality, ease of use, ratings, and user reviews. So I hope in the countertop water filter reviews you found the information needed for choosing the best product for your home.