Portable water purifiers are ideal for getting clean, drinking water while camping, backpacking or traveling. Portable water purifiers offer the convenience of being able to take them anywhere with you. The best portable water purifier can be used for treating almost any type of water for producing water free of particles and contaminants. There are different types of portable water purifiers, including water filters, water filter bottles, purification tablets, ultraviolet purifiers, and others. In the portable water purifier reviews below I will mention the most effective systems on the market. So if you are unsure which product to choose from such a big variety available on the market, I hope my portable water purifier comparison and reviews will be of help.
- LIFESAVER Systems
- Filter life, gallons: 4000
- Filter features: carbon filter
- Dimensions: 12.9 x 4.5 x 4.5
- Price: $$$$
- SteriPEN Adventurer Opti
- Filter life, gallons: 2000
- Filter features: ultraviolet light water purifier
- Dimensions: 6.1 x 1.3 x .9
- Price: $$
- Sawyer Mini
- Filter life, gallons: 100,000
- Filter features: 0.1 micron absolute filter
- Dimensions: 8 x 4 x 3
- Price: $
- Grayl Cup
- Filter life, gallons: 40
- Filter features: activated carbon, triple charged ion mesh
- Dimensions: 9 x 2.8 x 2.8
- Price: $$
- MSR Miox
- Filter life, gallons: runs on batteries
- Filter features: powerful dose of mixed oxidants
- Dimensions: 7 x 4 x 1.5
- Price: $$$$
Portable Water Purifier Reviews – Top Picks
- Portable Water Purifier Reviews – Top Picks
- Lifesaver Systems 4000
- Steripen Adventurer Opti
- Grayl Water Filtration Cup
- MSR Miox
- Best Portable Water Filter Reviews
- Sawyer Mini
- Katadyn Pocket Water Microfilter
- Seychelle Water Filter Bottle
- Portable Water Purifier Comparison Chart
- What is Water Purification?
- Best Portable Water Purifier Buying Guide
- Common Types of Portable Water Filters
- The Bottom Line
Lifesaver Systems 4000
Lifesaver bottle was the first portable water filter with the ability to remove harmful viruses from the water. It was designed for providing clean drinking water in the developing world. Its design and effectiveness also make it perfect for backpackers, hikers, and other portable use.
The water purifier bottle is equipped with a carbon filter and a pump system housed within the bottle. To get clean water you just need to fill up the bottle, pump a few times, and that’s it. The micro pores remove even the smallest potentially dangerous impurities, such as bacteria and viruses. The carbon filter also reduces heavy metals, pesticides, and other chemical residues.
One cartridge provides 4000 gallons of purified water. You won’t be guessing when to change the filter, as the cartridge will just shut down when its lifespan will be over.
Lifespan Systems 4000 water filter bottle is one of the most cost effective portable water treatment systems. It’s simple, yet very effective at providing the purest water.
Steripen Adventurer Opti
Steripen Adventurer Opti is one of the most popular camping water purifiers that is used all over the world. The Steripen utilizes UV light that causes molecular reorganization of the organism’s DNA. This eliminates their reproduction capability, thus killing them.
The water purifier you just insert the pen into a container with water, turn on the UV light, swirl it around a bit, and within a minute it will purify up to sixteen ounces of water. It kills all types of viruses and bacteria.
In addition to the fast purification speed, the Steripen offers a convenient light weight. Weight just 4 ounces, you will barely notice it as you hike or backpack.
The pen is powered by batteries. The battery life will last about 25 gallons of purified water. The UV light will purify up to 2000 gallons.
If you are looking for an ultraviolet and most compact water purifier, this would be the top recommendation.
Grayl Water Filtration Cup
One more great portable water purifier is the Grayl water filtration cup. It’s not the most lightweight option, but it’s made of stainless steel, so instead you get a beautifully looking and highly durable water purifier.
The Grayl purification system is also one of the fastest among portable water purifiers In just 15 seconds it is capable of purifying 16 ounces of water.
The unit consists of an inner and outer cups, both made of stainless steel. The inner cup has an attached threaded filter. To get purified water you need to fill the outer cup with water and insert the inner one by applying pressure. After this simple process, the water is ready for drinking right from the water bottle.
The Grayl portable water purifier features a 3-part filter mechanism that combines an ultra-powered activated carbon (sifts out impurities), standard granulated carbon with a charged ion mesh (pulls out pathogens out of the fluid), and an anti-microbial agent (inhibits the growth of bacteria, fungus, mildew, and mold).
This water filtration cup is capable of reducing many contaminants, such as arsenic and lead, pharmaceutical and industrial chemicals, sulfur, chlorine, and other impurities. Most importantly, the filter removes almost all of the bacteria and protozoa.
The filter lasts about 40 gallons, which should give you about 300 uses.
MSR Miox is another ultralight portable water purifier that weighs just 3.6 ounces. It’s compact and also very easy to use, with no pumping or iodine required.
To use the MSR Miox, just add water, shake it up, and press a button. As you press the button, the purifier creates a powerful dose of mixed oxidants, which when added to the water inactivate any of the impurities that are in it. It removes bacteria, viruses, Cryptosporidium, and Giardia.
For operation, the MSR Miox water purifier requires batteries, which will provide purification of about 25 gallons. The only recurring cost for maintaining this purification system is the replacement of batteries.
The purification speed is not as fast compared to the models mentioned above.
Best Portable Water Filter Reviews
If you are looking for the best portable water filter, then one of the most popular backpacking water filters is the Sawyer Mini. This filtration system offers a low weight of just 2 ounces, high performance and great versatility. To get clean drinking water with the Sawyer Mini, you can attach it to a water bottle, hydration pack, or use the included drinking pouch or straw. Whatever is more convenient for you.
It provides a much greater capacity compared to most other portable water filters. The compact filter can provide up to 100,000 gallons of drinking water.
The Sawyer Mini filter is certified for removal of harmful bacteria, protozoa, Giardia, cysts, Salmonella typhi, and Vibrio cholerae. However, it does not remove viruses, chemicals, and dissolved solids.
- Katadyn Pocket
- Filter life, gallons: 13,000
- Filter features: filter with a silver-impregnated ceramic element
- Dimensions: 10 x 2.4 x 2.4
- Price: $$$$
- Filter life, gallons: 1000
- Filter features: filter with hollow-fiber membranes
- Dimensions: 1 x 1 x 9
- Price: $
- Seychelle Water Filter Bottle
- Filter life, gallons: 100
- Filter features: Ionic Adsorption Micro Filtration Media
- Dimensions: 10.5x3x3
- Price: $
Katadyn Pocket Water Microfilter
One of the higher priced models among the top rated portable water filters is the Katadyn Pocket.
The Katadyn Pocket water purifier is made of heavy duty materials, designed to withstand the heavy use in the outdoors, even by extreme adventurers. The filter is equipped with a silver-impregnated ceramic element. It removes all microorganisms larger than 0.2 microns, including bacteria and protozoa.
The weight of the Katadyn Pocket is also a bit on the heavy side. Weighing 20 ounces, it might not be the first choice for a lightweight backpacker.
It offers really good output at 1 quartz per minute. The filtration features a pump design. The filter features a capacity of 13,000 gallons and a measuring gauge to let you know when the time will come for the filter element replacement.
For ultralight backpackers, hikers and travellers, the top recommendation for a portable water filter would be the Lifestaw. This little innovative filter has been widely used around the world for humanitarian relief.
Lifestraw uses hollow-fiber membranes and has the capability to filter to 0.2 microns. This includes removing up to 99.99% of waterborne bacteria, protozoan parasites, Giardia, and many others. It contains no chemicals or iodinated resin.
This water filter you can use drink directly from almost any kind of water source. You just uncap the straw on both ends and insert the base into the water source, let it sit for about 30 seconds, then take 5 quick sucks to get the water flowing.
It has the filtering capacity of 1000 gallons. Considering its filtration effectiveness, compact and ultralight design, as well as a very affordable price, the Lifestraw personal water filter is also another option worth considering by outdoor enthusiasts and travellers.
Seychelle Water Filter Bottle
One more option for those who prefer a water filter bottle is the Seychelle model. It’s BPA and lead-free and made from stainless steel that ensures its durability.
Unlike the other water filter bottle I have mentioned above, this unit features only one stage filtration. It uses powerful ionic absorption by the filtration media that removes most of the contaminants, including chlorine, chemicals, and heavy metals.
Portable Water Purifier Comparison Chart
|Product name||Filter life, gallons||Filter features||Dimensions|
|LIFESAVER Systems||4000||carbon filter||12.9 x 4.5 x 4.5|
|SteriPEN Adventurer Opti||2000||ultraviolet light water purifier||6.1 x 1.3 x .9|
|Sawyer Mini||100,000||0.1 micron absolute filter||8 x 4 x 3|
|Grayl Cup||40||activated carbon, triple charged ion mesh||9 x 2.8 x 2.8|
|MSR Miox||runs on batteries||powerful dose of mixed oxidants||7 x 4 x 1.5|
What is Water Purification?
Water purification is the general term used for any method that aims to eliminate raw contaminants from water to make it safe for human being consumption. Some of the contaminants removed in a successful water purification method includes: bacteria, viruses, algae, metals like lead and parasites like Giardia. Some of these contaminants are however not harmful but are instead removed to improve the smell and taste of water. A good water purification method can eliminate near total impurities, leaving the water not only safe for human consumption but also ideal for any industrial use application.
There are several methods used to purify water, with filtration and distillation being the most common types. Filtration relies on a filter to sift out unwanted minerals and particles while allowing water to pass through. The best filtration systems can eliminate particulates sized 0.1 microns, and other microns like DNA fragments. Reverse osmosis systems are the best types of water purifiers that use the filtration method. Instead of relying on a filter, a reverse osmosis tool uses a porous element that acts as a unidirectional sieve to separate water from unwanted molecules.
Distillation, on the other hand, is cheaper but has the disadvantage of being slow. With distillation, pure water is created once the water boils and leaves contaminants behind. However, the fact that there are organic substances that boil before water creates a window that could introduce contaminants back to your water even after the installation process. A good distillation system can, however, distil water and eliminate all other contaminants.
Besides distillation, there are biological methods of purifying water like slow sand filtration. In industries, water can also be purified via exposure to electromagnetic radiation. All in all, water purification helps reduce or eliminate the concentration of unwanted deposits from the water.
Best Portable Water Purifier Buying Guide
If you are worried that your taps’ water isn’t safe enough, maybe it is time you bought a portable water purifier. A good purifier can help you eliminate up to 90% of metals, minerals, and toxins that could otherwise have gone into your body. With that in mind, read the following article to learn how to choose the best water purifier for your home.
A water filter basically restrains biological pathogens like bacteria, Giardia and Salmonella from entering into your pots and cups. A water purifier that relies on filters, therefore, gets clogged after some time, and you may need to replace it. There are certain water purifiers that don’t use filters, however. Instead, they use cartridges or components that can capture smaller microorganisms that a normal filter could. The most common water purifiers, however, use filters, chemicals or filters with activated carbon. All the same, your goal as you plan to buy a water purifier is tool for a tool that can eliminate all the particulates that you don’t want in your kitchen
Common Types of Portable Water Filters
- Reverse Osmosis Filters – These filters push water through a semi-permeable membrane while they eliminate contaminants like sodium, copper, lead and fluoride. Reverse osmosis water purifiers are slow but very effective in eliminating most types of water contaminants.
- Under the Counter water filters – As their name suggests, you install these devices under the counters of your kitchen. Most often, under the counter filters are bigger than typical water filters. They may contain bigger and stronger filters, and at times they are more expensive.
- Gravity water purifiers-These water purifiers rely on the force of gravity to force water through their filters for purification. Gravity water purifiers are often cheap and easy to install. The only problem is that they are slow and may be big too.
- Counter top Filters – Countertop water purifiers are the most common options in the market. They often occupy little space on your countertop, they are easy to install and work efficiently. Some of the best water purifiers in the world are actually counter top filters, and as such, you can feel safe to consider these tools as your ideal water purifier solution.
- Ultra violet water purifiers – They use ultra violet radiation to eliminate unwanted contaminants. They are harder to find however, plus the fact that ultra violet rays can warm your kitchen involuntarily.
Factors to Consider when buying a Portable Water purifier
- Consider buying a water purifier with carbon block system. This way, you can have a purifier that not only eliminated unwanted contaminants but also reduces odors from your water. Your ideal water filter should also be NSF certified, just to assure you that the unit can eliminate a wide range of unwanted water particulates from your water.
- Consider the replacement filters’ lifespan-A water purifier may be good, but if it only eliminates 100 gallons of water before wearing out, then the unit is probably not what you need. A good purifier should first of all use readily available replacement filters. If not, the cost of replacing the unit’s filters should be affordable. Again, the filters should be durable enough to serve you for a while before you replace them.
- The convenience of size and weight – There are different types of water purifiers, and you should be keen to settle for one whose size and weight doesn’t inconvenience you at all. If you are looking for a counter top filter especially, look keenly for a great performing purifier that won’t take much of your space in the kitchen.
- The quality of construction – While water purifiers are generally cheap, you shouldn’t overlook the quality of the product you are about to buy. If anything, you should pay more attention at the design and materials used to construct the water purifier. Stainless steel designed purifiers that weigh 5 pounds or less are often the best options for home use needs.
- Costs – Generally, water purifiers cost in the range of $25-250. But before you pay for any single tool make sure its features can give you the value its price suggests. Sometimes, you may realize that the more expensive water purifiers will have extra features and kits that are beneficial if you have them.
The Bottom Line
Whether you need the best portable water filter or the best portable water purifier, these are the most popular models in 2016. They offer the best features, such as compact design, lightweight, portability, but most importantly they offer effective removal of most water impurities and contaminants, making water from almost any source, safe for drinking and other use. I hope that in my portable water purifier reviews you have found the information that will help you in finding the right product.