One of the more inexpensive and at the same time convenient ways to get clean drinking water at home is with a water filter pitcher. It’s a must have item if you don’t have another water filtration system installed, such as faucet mounted, countertop or under sink water filter. Water filter pitchers might not filter as well as them, but it’s a step up from no filtration at all and they are inexpensive and convenient, as they require no installation. If you are looking for the best water filter pitcher, in our reviews we have compiled a list of top picks.
- Brita Everyday
- Removes: hlorine taste and odor, zinc taste, copper, mercury and cadmium
- Capacity: 10-cup
- Price: $
- MAVEA 1001125 Elemaris XL
- Removes: chlorine taste and odor, industrial pollutants, heavy metals and agricultural chemicals
- Capacity: 9-cup
- Price: $
- PUR DS-1800Z
- Removes: chemicals, bad taste and odor in water
- Capacity: 18-cup
- Price: $
- ZeroWater ZP-010
- Removes: lead, chromium and mercury, chlorine taste and door
- Capacity: 10-cup
- Price: $
- Pur oval pitcher
- Reduces Chlorine (taste & odor), Removes 95% of Mercury and more
- Capacity: 7-cup
- Price: $$
- Seychelle 1-40101-W
- Removes: 99.99% of Chlorine, chemicals (VOCs), heavy metals, fluoride
- Capacity: 8-cup
- Price: $$
Water Filter Pitcher Reviews
- Water Filter Pitcher Reviews
- PUR 18-Cup Dispenser DS-1800Z
- Brita Everyday Water Filter Pitcher
- Mavea 1001125 Elemaris XL Water Filtration Pitcher
- ZeroWater ZP-010 Pitcher
- PUR 7 Cup Oval Pitcher & 1 Filter
- Seychelles 1-40101-W Family Water Pitcher
- Best Water Filter Pitchers Comparison Chart
- What Is a Water Filter Pitcher?
- Buyer’s Guide to Choosing the Best Water Filter Pitcher
- Advantages of Water Filter Pitchers
- Water Filter Pitcher Maintenance
- The Bottom Line
PUR 18-Cup Dispenser DS-1800Z
With 18-cup capacity, this PUR dispenser is the biggest sized best water filtration pitcher on our list. The dispenser features a unique carbon filter that can remove from water up to 95% of mercury, 96% of trace levels of pharmaceuticals and reduce chlorine. The filter is certified to remove 13 contaminants. As a result the water tastes good, has no odor and still has the beneficial fluoride.
For space saving the pitcher has a slim design, allowing easy storing of it in the fridge and convenient refilling in the sink.
The filter’s life is up to 40 gallons of water.
Brita Everyday Water Filter Pitcher
The 10-cup capacity Brita Everyday pitcher filters the water with the use of the carbon ion-exchange resin filter. It produces water free of chlorine taste and odor, and also with removed zinc, copper and mercury.
The filter can produce up to 40 gallons of clean healthy water. To help you keep on track of when to change the filter, there’s a sticker filter indicator. the filter on average should last about 2 months.
Mavea 1001125 Elemaris XL Water Filtration Pitcher
Mavea 9-cup water filter pitcher holds twice less water as the PUR model. But in terms of filtration effectiveness and appearance, it is also a high quality pitcher with a stylish design. It is available in a variety of colorful options, such as ruby red, eggplant, black and others.
Mavea 1001125 is manufactured in Germany. The pitcher is made with high-end materials that are BPA free.
The filter of Mavea is certified to reduce chlorine, both taste and odor, heavy metals, industrial pollutants, agricultural chemicals and limescale.
Removing all the contaminants, the filter leaves the beneficial potassium, magnesium, chlorides, calcium and silica. So it produces clean and balanced water that has a great taste, free of harmful contaminants and still rich in healthy minerals.
The pitcher is not just efficient, but also smart. It features an indicator that will signal you when to change the filter. The Smart Meter makes the calculation on when to change the filter based on the time the filter has been in use, the hardness and volume of filtered water.
ZeroWater ZP-010 Pitcher
ZeroWater ZP-010 is available for about the same price as the PUR pitcher, but it uses a more advanced filtration system that includes a 5-stage process. This system is more complete than carbon water filtration. It filters all the impurities such as lead, mercury, aluminum, zinc, chlorine and chemicals.
Unlike most carbon filters it removes not just certain harmful substances from water, but its ion exchange system with 5-stage technology produces water with 000 ppm. To test the water and see how well the filter is working, the unit comes with a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) meter. This batter powered meter will also notify you when the time comes for the filter replacement.
The ZP-010 pitcher can hold 10 cups, which makes it quite compact and easy for storing it in the refrigerator. For more convenience, at the bottom of the pitcher there’s a handy dispenser. So you can access water without having to take out the pitcher from the fridge.
PUR 7 Cup Oval Pitcher & 1 Filter
This great PUR oval pitcher style water filter is a great choice for your kitchen. When you don’t want to take such a drastic move as fitting a whole house water filter to your existing water supply, this pitcher can remove the minerals and sodium from your drinking water to make it better for your body.
The carbon filter that comes with this water filter is able to remove 95% of the Mercury from your water supply. In addition to this, it is capable of filtering out chlorine from your water and traces of pharmaceuticals. Chlorine is added to water as a disinfectant as part of the cleaning process, but it is left in the water and this is the odor that some water can have. This water purifier will remove this odor and the resulting taste. Pharmaceuticals in water can have some negative side effects too. Even simple traces can lead to problems such as infertility and up to 96% of these traces are removed with this water filter.
This water filter is the only one in the market that is known to remove such a high percentage of pharmaceuticals from the water supply. It is also certified to remove three times as many impurities from the water as a comparable Brita filter pitcher system.
The cartridge that comes with this filter can process 40 gallons of water before it will need to be replaced, which is around 2 months in an average sized household. The pitcher itself is slim enough to fit in the door of a refrigerator so that you can enjoy chilled and pure water.
Seychelles 1-40101-W Family Water Pitcher
The Seychelles 1-40101-W Family Water Pitcher is just what you need in your refrigerator. This useful pitcher style water filter has been designed to give you healthy and safe drinking water and the design and the mechanism of the filter has been created with much consideration to the user’s needs.You will be able to enjoy up to 150 gallons of water before you need to think about changing the filter.
Not only is this convenient as it means only replacing the filter every 6 months, but it also means that you will save money as you won’t need to purchase new filters very often.
This pitcher is easy to use and the non-slip pistol style grip ensures that even the elderly, disabled or small children will be able to use this filter pitcher with ease.
The plastic that this pitcher is made from is BPA free and it will not leach. If you have heard bad things about storing water in plastic containers, you won’t need to worry about that with this pitcher. You won’t experience any bad taste from the plastic and your body won’t be harmed by any chemicals.
If you’re used to buying bottled water so that you can be sure of getting a healthy and well-filtered drinking water supply, you may have found a great alternative with this pitcher. It is a far cheaper option to buying bottled water and you can be sure that it will keep your body as well as possible.
Best Water Filter Pitchers Comparison Chart
|Brita Everyday||chlorine taste and odor, zinc taste, copper, mercury and cadmium||10-cup||$|
|PUR DS-1800Z||bad taste and odor in water||18-cup||$|
|MAVEA 1001125 Elemaris XL||chlorine taste and odor, industrial pollutants, heavy metals and agricultural chemicals||9-cup||$|
|ZeroWater ZP-010||Removes: lead, chromium and mercury, chlorine taste and door||10-cup||$|
|Pur oval pitcher||Reduces Chlorine (taste & odor), Removes 95% of Mercury and more||7-cup||$$|
|Seychelle 1-40101-W||Removes: 99.99% of Chlorine, chemicals (VOCs), heavy metals, fluoride||8-cup||$$|
What Is a Water Filter Pitcher?
One of the ways that you can have clean drinking water at any given moment quick and easy is using a water filter pitcher. These pitchers come equipped with a water filter that will remove chlorine, and other water contaminants. The unit consists of two water reservoirs. One is of smaller size and the second being a bigger one. As you pour the water into the smaller water reservoir, it slows flows through the filter and after getting stripped of water contaminants, flows into the bigger reservoir. Depending on the model, it can have different filtering capabilities, filtering speed, and other specifications.
Buyer’s Guide to Choosing the Best Water Filter Pitcher
You are not sure what to look for to find the right water filter pitcher? What advanced technologies of features should you look for? There are so many products available on the market, so how do you know which one is the best for your needs? Below are some considerations that you can take into account when choosing a water filter pitcher.
- What do you want the water filter pitcher to remove? Get your water tested and find out what’s in your water. Is it just chlorine and chlorinated byproducts? What other contaminants do you have in the water? Some of the less advanced water filter pitchers will have filters only capable of reducing chlorine and removing chlorine odor. More technologically advanced models in addition removing chlorine and odor, will also remove pharmaceutical traces, heavy metals, microbiological cysts, agricultural and other water pollutants. So knowing the pollutants that your water has will help you know what filter capabilities to look for.
- What design would you like? After ensuring that the water filter pitcher will be able to provide quality water, it’s time to look at the design. Everyone has unique requirements, so look for a design that would work best for you and your kitchen. For example, if you have an extra small refrigerator or not much space for an extra unit in your kitchen, then look for a more compact pitcher. Some models offer unique designs that allow more convenient storage in the fridge. On the other hand, if you have a very large family, you will need a water filter pitcher with a bigger capacity. Also, for some the appearance could be the most important feature, while for others it doesn’t matter at all. So different circumstances and requirements will call for a different pitcher.
- What’s your budget? Before purchasing a new water filter pitcher, you should also decide how much you are willing to spend. Most of the water filter pitchers are affordable. However, some people might want to spend a little extra to get a more advanced product that would provide a higher quality of clean water.
Advantages of Water Filter Pitchers
- The most affordable option among water filtration systems.
- Portability, as it is easy to move them around the house or take them anywhere traveling, boating or camping.
- Convenient as there is no installation required.
- The water can be kept cold in the refrigerator and ready for drinking.
- Provides a good level of filtration.
- Countertop, faucet or under sink filters, as well as whole house and reverse osmosis systems generally provide better filtration level.
- The filtration process can be quite slow. You pour the water into the top tank of the pitcher and then it can take 10 or more minutes for the water to filter through the media.
Water Filter Pitcher Maintenance
How often do the filters in the pitcher need to be replaced?
Different models utilize different filters, so their lifespan will also differ. However, on average the lifespan would be around 2 months, which equals to about filtering 40 gallons of water. It is recommended that you change the filters regularly in order to maintain the flavor of your water and its quality. To have optimum performance of your unit, refer to the instructions manual that came with your model and check when you need to change the filters. Some of the more advanced pitchers make it much easier to maintain. With them you don’t need to guess if the filter is need of a replacement. They are equipped with an electronic monitor that keeps track of the filter’s lifespan, and eliminates the guesswork for you.
What is the filter’s shelf life?
The shelf life of filters is usually indefinite. So if you keep the filter unpackaged and don’t use it for a very long time, it will still be as good as new and will provide you with clean drinking water. But to make sure that your filter maintains its quality keep it in a sealed bag until you decide to use it, and place it in a dry place that has a cool level of temperature.
How to wash a water filter pitcher?
Most of the water filter pitchers are very low maintenance. All they need is just regular filter replacement. As for washing, it can easily be done by hand washing the lid and reservoir. You can use some detergent and a soft sponge. Using a soft sponge will prevent any scratching during the wash. Some pitchers can be placed in the dishwasher for an easier way of cleaning. However, check the manual for your model to make sure that it can.
Where can I purchase a water filter pitcher?
There are many retailers, so a lot of options where you can buy a water filter pitcher. However, one of the most convenient place is Amazon. Not only do they have the most vast options available, but also there you can find the best prices as they often offer discounts and free shipping.
The Bottom Line
All of the models we have recommended above in our best water filter reviews are made from BPA-free materials. All of these pitchers have been certified by NSF for removal of certain contaminants. They were picked based on their rating, research of their customer reviews, their effectiveness, design and price.