Hard water becomes a reason for a variety of negative effects in the household, bathing, and showering in hard water is a major one. Living in large cities, the quality of water can be not that optimal. Hard water leaves your skin dry and your hair feeling dull and heavy. In such cases, a water softener shower head can help. It may seem like an unnecessary purchase, but the results are worth. To help you find the best shower head filter we have compiled a list of the best rated products. Under the chart, you can also read the best shower filter reviews for each one of these top products.
Installation of water softener shower heads is usually very simple. The device typically consists of a small filtering tank, the shower head, and an attaching component to the shower valve. In most cases, installation doesn’t require any professional help.
As with any water softening and filtration system some maintenance is required. However, you don’t need to deal with any salt or potassium pellets. You just need to replace the filter generally about every 6 months.
- Rainshow'r CQ-1000-MS Shower Filter with Massaging Shower Head
- Capacity: 25,000
- Dimensions: 9.4 x 4 x 3.3
- Price: $
- Culligan WSH-C125 Wall-Mount Filtered Showerhead
- Capacity: 10,000
- Dimensions: 5 x 9 x 13
- Price: $
- Jonathan Product Beauty Water Shower Purification System
- Capacity: 6 months filter
- Price: $
- Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower Water Filter System with Adjustable Showerhead
- Capacity: 10,000
- Dimensions: 8.5 x 7.2 x 3.2
- Price: $
- WaterChef® SF-7C Premium Shower Filter System
- Capacity: 6 months filter
- Dimensions: 3.5 x 12 x 12
- Price: $$
Culligan WSH-C125 Wall-Mount Showerhead
- Culligan WSH-C125 Wall-Mount Showerhead
- Rainshow’r CQ-1000-MS Shower Filter with Massaging Showerhead
- Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower Water Filter with Adjustable Showerhead
- Jonathan Product Beauty Water Shower Purification System
- Culligan ISH-100 Level 2 Inline Shower Filter
- Aquasana AQ-4105 Showerhead Filter System with Handheld Wand
- Best Water Softener Shower Heads Comparison Chart
- Why Should You Use a Water Softener Shower Head?
- The Bottom Line
Culligan WSH-C125 is one of the best shower filters. It’s an affordable unit that has received many positive shower head filter reviews by its users. The patented filter of this Culligan can remove up to 99% of chlorine. Additionally, the shower head reduces the amount of scale to keep your skin and scalp more nourished and hydrated.
This shower head offers not just cleaner water, but also comes equipped with five spray settings that you can choose according to your mood. You can set it for a full-body spray to get maximum coverage with water or just an invigorating pulse that provides relaxing massage for muscles.
The installation can be done in minutes and requires only the Teflon tape that comes included with the shower head. Without any other additional tools you just need to wrap the tape around your shower arm and then attach the shower head and it’s ready to use.
The filter can last up to 6 months or up to 10,000 gallons.
- Easy to Install – It requires no tool or technical know how to setup and fix the Culligan WSH-C125 in your shower head.
- Affordable- Not only is the water filter cheap, its replacement filter is also affordable and easy to find.
- Efficient at eliminating chlorine build up and odors – The unit has an almost 100% record in eliminating chlorine. It also ensures odors are reduced before water comes out of your shower head.
- It maintains or improves the water pressure by removing any debris that could clog the shower head. It is actually designed to eliminate almost anything that could block the sprays; thus it lets your shower head release water as efficiently as possible.
- Comes with a massager and 5 spray settings.
- Reduces the spray area – Some customers complain that their shower head’s spray ability slightly reduces after installing this unit.
- Its spray settings can be tough to switch.
Rainshow’r CQ-1000-MS Shower Filter with Massaging Showerhead
Rainshow’r has been in the industry of shower filters for a long time and CQ-1000MS shower filter is one of the best products. Installation of this unit is also easy and can be without any extra tools. This shower head is designed for more capacity. The filter of the shower head can last up to 15,000-20,000 gallons of water usage or if you have a family of four, the filter would last about 6 to 9 months. Rainshow’r CQ-1000-MS will remove up to 90% of chlorine. The KDF filter is NSF certified, it works by changing chlorine into a harmless compound.
- NSF certified for reliable performance – The unit’s NSF certification is already proof that you will be purchasing a reliable water filter.
- Durable – It is threaded with brass under a durable plastic construction for durability.
- Easy to set up – You almost don’t need professional help when it comes to installing the US made unit. It requires no tools to install after all.
- Efficient Filtration performance – The water filter’s efficiency in processing chlorine into chlorides is its biggest selling point. However, it also traps other types of debris and contaminant as well.
- Improves water quality – By eliminating debris and contaminants, the water filter leaves water in your shower soft and enjoyable.
- Cheap – The unit costs slightly less than $47 but will serve you efficiently for quite a long time.
- Few customers complain that the unit won’t work with tap water-However, almost every customer gives the unit a 5 star ratings in online reviews; indicating just how reliable the unit is.
Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower Water Filter with Adjustable Showerhead
Aquasana AQ-4100 is a bit more expensive than the previous two models but it’s also one of the higher quality shower filters. It’s the best shower filter of the Aquasana brand. Unlike many other water softener shower head systems, this Aquasana one features a two stage filter system that helps to remove 91% of chlorine, as well as many other harmful chemicals. The filter replacement will also need to be done about twice a year. You can also read other shower water filter reviews of the Aquasana brand here.
- Easy to Install – The US made unit requires no tools or technical knowhow to install. Instead, you just connect it accordingly to the water line that supplies water to your shower head and it works.
- Reduces water contaminants – The unit eliminates debris and contaminants like chlorine quite efficiently.
- Longevity – The unit is designed to filter out water contaminants in up to 10,000 gallons of water after which you simply replace the filters.
- Comes with a deluxe, shower massage head.
- Features a water pressure reducing function – For efficient water usage, you can reduce your shower head’s flow rate on the unit.
- Comes with a 60-day satisfaction guarantee and a convenient warranty
- Sometimes you can observe some leaks at the pipe, but you can overcome the problem by tightening the pipe with the help of a Teflon tape.
- Being plastic made means that it can easily break if not carefully handled.
Jonathan Product Beauty Water Shower Purification System
Jonathan Beauty water purifier shower head is also equipped with a 2-stage filter system. The filter of this shower head changes the polluted tap water into a pH balanced water. Your shower water going through the two filters loses toxic heavy metals and synthetic chemicals, delivering pure water that will make your hair and skin softer. The removed heavy metals from the water the system replaces them with healthy potassium ions that result in balanced pH.
- Reduces 99% of chlorine, scale, sulfur and odor – This model offers an almost 100% chlorine and odor elimination rate. This leaves chlorine allergic folks and anyone else who loves showering in ultra-clean water enjoying their showers every day.
- Easy to Install – It is designed to be set up as a fixed shower head; thus no technical knowhow is required in its installation.
- Longevity – The unit lasts quite long, with the filters having the ability to filter up to 10,000 gallons worth of water. Technically, that means you only need to replace its widely available filters after six months.
- Affordable – Despite being one of the most popular water filters in the market; it costs less than $100. Again, its replacement filters are popular and affordable.
- Small shower space.
- The unit is plastic-made.
Culligan ISH-100 Level 2 Inline Shower Filter
Culligan ISH-100 is also one of the best shower head filters. This unit, unlike WSH-C125, doesn’t include the shower head. The filter is designed to remove chlorine, scale and sulfur odor that provides softer and cleaner hair and skin. The filter’s capacity is 10,000 gallons of water usage and it should last about 6 months. The installation is similar to the previous Culligan model, using the included Teflon tape.
- Eliminates hard water contaminants quite efficiently – The Culligan model eliminates chlorine and other types of hard water contaminants incredibly well. It is thus a great deal for anyone whose skin is sensitive to hard water,
- Easy to install – It is designed for easy installation; with no tools needed.
- Sturdy and durable construction – The unit is sturdy and strong in quality, and it could last for many years if well maintained.
- Changing filters is easy – In addition to the fact that it serves for a while, the unit’s filters are readily available in the market. Again, changing these filters takes a few minutes.
- Some customers complain that the unit is unable to filter out other contaminants except for chlorine, sulphur, and odors.
- The replacement filters are quite expensive, given that they only last 6 months or less.
Aquasana AQ-4105 Showerhead Filter System with Handheld Wand
The last shower filter review on this list is of Aquasana AQ-4105 that uses the same 2 stage process as in previous Aquasana model we have mentioned. This system of the filter uses a combination coconut shell carbon copper-zinc oxidation. These two processes help to reduce 91% of chlorine. Additionally, it reduces and removes synthetic chemicals and balance pH. The filters last the average 6 months before needing a replacement.
- Comes with a shower wand – The Aquasana model comes with a one of a kind shower wand that helps you better your showering experience. Ideally, the wand helps you adjust the shower stream or the massage stream.
- Easy to Install – It takes a minute or two to setup and install even for a newbie.
- Reduces chlorine effectively – The Aquasana model has a great reputation in eliminating the effects of chlorine in your water.
- Retains shower height – Despite being bigger in size than most shower head filters, the unit does not affect your shower height.
- Long service life – It comes in a strong and sturdy design for a long lifespan. Its replacement filters are also made from great quality, and lives for six months before replacement.
- It is plastic, and can thus break easily if not well maintained.
- Some online shoppers note that the unit isn’t pure white as displayed on online sites. It is dark bone white instead.
Best Water Softener Shower Heads Comparison Chart
|Product name||Filter life||Dimensions||Other|
|Culligan WSH-C125||10,000||5 x 9 x 13||Certified by the NFC, meets NSF standards, 5 spray settings|
|Rainshow'r CQ-1000-MS||25,000||9.4 x 4 x 3.3||certified by NSF international against NSF/ANSI Standard 177, Polyester filter element|
|Jonathan Product Beauty Water Shower||6 months filter||-||2-stage filter is made up of Amorphous Titanium Silicate|
|Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe||10,000||8.5 x 7.2 x 3.2||dual-stage filtration with up-flow filter design, Enhances pH balance|
|WaterChef® SF-7C Premium||6 months filter||3.5 x 12 x 12||2-Stage System with ThermalGuard™ for Superior Chlorine Reduction, NSF® Tested & Certified, 5 spray patterns|
Why Should You Use a Water Softener Shower Head?
Whenever you shower in hard water, there are a lot of things that happen that you may not notice as the effects of hard water damage are gradual.
First of all, your skin and hair will suffer. Your skin needs to be kept well hydrated but the salt in hard water and the chlorine that is used as a mild disinfectant in the water can dry out both your skin and hair. Over time your hair will look dull and it may even become dry. Your skin will also feel drier and it may lose its youthful appearance. Conditioning the water that passes through the showerhead will ensure that your hair and skin look and feel softer over time.
In addition, the showerhead itself can sustain damage over time due to hard water. Mineral deposits build up in the showerhead, causing the nozzles to block. Whilst this can usually be dislodged by squeezing the nozzles, or soaking the showerhead in vinegar, this is not an ideal solution. The water pipes in the shower itself can also become clogged with lime scale, which cannot be manually cleaned out. By removing most of the minerals from hard water, these mineral deposit build-ups will be fewer.
The Bottom Line
Showering with hard water leaves your skin and hair feeling dry. Using water that has reduced chlorine as well as other water pollutants will make your skin and hair healthier. In this article we provided the best models with the water softener shower head reviews, and we hope that the information we have provided in our shower filter comparison was useful for you. These are the top rated shower filters and the top sellers in 2017. To prevent the effects of hard water on your skin as well as on house appliances, it’s also useful to have a water softener that will provide softened water for the whole house water supply.